Seared Tuna Hand Rolls
Seared Tuna Handrolls
By Hannah Cheng, cofounder of Mimi Cheng's Dumplings in New York
With our Gulf of Maine bluefin tuna in hand, Hannah Cheng, co-founder of Mimi Cheng’s Dumplings in New York, created a DIY tuna hand roll for every level of home chef. Order our Bluefin tuna steaks, pick up a few other ingredients at your local grocery store or farmers market, and get your sushi fix from the comfort of your home.
Seared Tuna Ingredients:
Bluefin tuna steak
Togarashi seasoning, to taste
Salt and pepper
Seared Tuna Instructions:
1. Drizzle a little olive oil over the tuna pieces
2. Season with salt, pepper, and togarashi, to taste.
3. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add a little cooking oil.
4. Sear tuna pieces on both sides. Center will still be pink.
5. Move to a cutting board to slice thinly.
Sushi Rice Ingredients: (Hannah Cheng’s tried and true recipe. Do not skip a step or the rice will come out mushy and gummy)
3 cups raw sushi rice
4 cups of water
1/2 c rice vinegar
2 tsp maldon salt
1 tsp of sugar
Sushi Rice Instructions:
1. Soak 3 cups of rice in 4 cups of water for 15 minutes.
2. Boil the rice. Once the rice boils, turn heat to low/medium and cook for 15 minutes.
3. Take off the heat, let it sit covered for 5 minutes.
4. Add the rice vinegar, maldon salt, and sugar mixture and mix it in well with a wooden spoon. (metal utensils will react with vinegar).
5. Cover with lid again and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Hand Roll Assembly Ingredients:
Furikake seasoning of choice
Micro arugula or broccoli sprouts (or really any vegetable of choice. thinly sliced persian cucumbers, carrots, avocado would be nice too)
Soy sauce and wasabi, for dipping
Hand Roll Assembly Instructions:
1. Layer on top of seaweed sheet: sushi rice, tuna slices, drizzle with soy sauce and wasabi mixture, shiso leaves, sprinkle furikake, and top with vegetables.
2. Roll up into a cone shape and enjoy!